Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mar 10 2009

Lunch

Athina Grill
Lamb souvlaki pita and fries. It was pretty okay. Same as always.

Dinner

Spring Hill
I have been looking to take advantage of the Dine Around Seattle deals to try some new places that I might not otherwise bother with. A friend had told me this place was quite good, so I went there with him tonight.
I had:
* Rogue Creamery Smoked Blue Cheese, Air Dried Beef, Green Garlic Vinaigrette
* Wood Grilled Flat Iron Steak, Creamed Savoy Spinach, Crushed Gold Potatoes, Garlic Salt & Lemon
* Chocolate Fudge Cake, Peanut Ice Cream

We also shared this to start with:

* red wine pork sausage - horseradish sour cream, parsley relish, wheat crackers

Nothing I had was in any way bad, but I am not sure what the fuss is about. There were some nice touches in every dish, but I was looking for something to jump out and grab me. That just didn't happen, aside from the dessert. The dessert was awesome. With the addition of some vanilla ice cream it could have been like the most amazing Peanut Buster Parfait ever. In general all the ingredients were fresh, everything was well-prepared, but there was no one part of any dish (aside from the dessert) that I could point to as being particularly remarkable in any way, at least flavor-wise. There certainly is some creativity in preparation, but it just didn't add enough anywhere. The one other minor highlight was the "Crushed Gold Potatoes" with the steak. They had a really nice creaminess to them that I couldn't pinpoint. I liked those a lot.
I guess I wouldn't really recommend this place at full price, but I'm glad I tried it. The full price entrees seem pretty steep and I suspect they would have left me feeling short-changed.

No comments: