Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jan 20 2009

Brunch

Coastal Kitchen
I am routinely let down by dinner here, but I have had more than adequate brunch/lunch here on a couple of occasions. This was one of them. I had a "Sweet and Savory Crepe" which was served with apples, ham, and gruyere. There was some honey and a side of very thin and crisp pommes frites. It was all good.

Dinner

Queen City Grill
This place has been on my list for a long time. A friend was in town so we decided to go check it out. We started with two appetizers. We had a tuna "carpaccio" served with some lightly pickled onions and cucumbers and some wasabi (which we ignored), and we had a saute of wild mushrooms served over a very nice and creamy risotto. Both were good, but the tuna lacked a little something. It was a little bit bland. For an entree I had a very good bouillabaisse that was packed with lots of different types of fish, a small crab leg, and plenty of little clams. The broth was flavorful and light. My friend had halibut cheeks, which were excellent. This ended up being a very good meal in a really pleasant laid back atmosphere. I like this place.
We skipped dessert and went to Spur and had a couple of cocktails instead. They were very good, as were the homemade corn nuts.

No comments: